Saturday, June 4, 2011

Necklace? Oui. Ooh La La!

Some of you know I dabble in jewelry making.  I'm not particularly good at it, but I spend a lot of money on supplies.

Today however, oh today.  Today was drastically different.  Today I made a darling necklace for less than a dollar!

As advertised, so darling!

Close up of pendant
Here's how I did it.

You will need:
1.) 1 yard of polyester cord, $.20
2.) 2 wooden beads, $.13
3.) 1 ceramic flower heart charm, FREE!
4.) superglue
5.) electric cooktop

14 Easy Steps:
1.) Rummage through your mother's personal belongings until you find something cute that she never wears.
2.) Steal Borrow said item without asking permission.
3.) String your acquired item onto your cord.
4.) Attempt to put both ends of the cord through one wooden bead.
5.) Discover that the bore of your bead isn't large enough.
6.) Ponder solution...
7.) Find superglue, and, although realizing that during your last encounter with superglue you managed to superglue the container of superglue to your bathroom counter, decide to superglue two beads together.
8.) Gingerly superglue two wooden beads together to create uni-bead (dun dun DUN!).
9.) Allow glue to dry.
10.) Thread cord through uni-bead (dun dun DUN!).
11.) Tie knot at desired necklace length.
12.) Cut off excess cord.
13.) Seal fresh cord ends by melting them on your electric cooktop.
14.) Call your mother to confess the theft borrowing of her belonging, promise to return it, and, mostly jokingly, ask if you can have it when she dies.

I left the knot ends long because I liked the way they kind of draped, but you can do as you desire.

Good luck!

3 comments:

  1. How long/many times are you going to wear it before I get it back? And yes, when we get around to making a list of my things, I will be sure (yea right, you will have to remind me) to put your name on this. And, thanks for putting a nice cord on it. I can finally wear it. 14 steps? So when you get around to writing your craft book will it have 250 pages and only 3 projects?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so funny....I was prepared to call you out on the fact that the best part of this necklace was stolen and therefore no one can make this cute necklace for less than a dollar, until I read on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, wear something that the necklace goes with tomorrow and you can have it back then. :)

    And those are just my steps. I don't recommend all of them to the general public. In fact, I recommend (but do not practice) planning your crafts out in advance to cut down on the number of steps.

    Em, I figured I should call myself out. Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

    ReplyDelete