Saturday, June 30, 2012

Blueberries are the best berries

I slept on Em's couch last night and got up early (5:17am...) to go pick blueberries.  It turns out that this was the last day for picking at the particular patch we went to, so the berry quality wasn't great, but blueberries are my favorite so any blueberries are good berries in my book.


We got to the patch at 6 and were picking before the sun came up.


By the time the sun was rising I had picked all this bounty.
Someone else woke up when the sun came up.
Since I had already picked most of what looked good we decided to jump on a photo op.  Check out our hair!  Gimme a break...I was up at 5:17...
Feisty.
When we got done picking at about 7:30 we decided to grab breakfast.  We'd never been to this place before, but the sign outside was advertising "customers wanted" so we thought we'd oblige.
How totally cute is the front!
The waitress was by far the most eccentric/awkward waitress I have ever had the pleasure of giving orders to.  She stared at the sleeping baby for probably 45 seconds before asking, "How old is your baby?"  When we told her she stared some more, and after another full minute of total silence said, "That's a big baby.  He's going to be a big boy."  Then she walked away.

The food was reasonably priced and the atmosphere was quaint.  I thoroughly enjoyed the awkward service.  I would definitely go back.  And I'll take my friends since they're looking for customers.

Say 'Gouda'!
Take two.  Much better.  Jim even got over his fear of salmonella for this one!
"Hey! Take a photo of this!"  Okay...what are you doing?
So that's what happened this morning, you know, before I got mistaken for Gabe's grandma by some lady at a garage sale.

"Are you the neighbor or the grandma?"
"Oh, I'm his aunt."
"Well, sometimes I just can't tell.  People who look so young are grandparents raising their grandkids, you know, because so many of the parents are in jail."
"Yeah, that's a pretty tough situation...  Thanks for the doilies!"

I mean, come on.  I didn't exactly look great (see the above photo from 7am), but I didn't look old enough to be a grandmother.  And if I did please lie to me.

3 comments:

  1. Good times! Great oldies- not you, lol! The garage sale lady was probably related to our waitress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA I can't stop laughing! I wish I had been a fly on the wall at the restaurant. I would have had to laugh out loud. haha Okay, Maggie, I know you are asking "How loud can a fly laugh?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!!!! I'm dying right now. If you look old what do I look like????!!!

    ReplyDelete