Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Country Style

So I'm home for Christmas break -- YAY!!!  It's nice to be around normal people...well...the kind of normal I understand anyway...well, sort of understand...  Nevermind.  Erase that.  It's nice to be home.

I always know it's Christmas when the Statler Brothers Christmas Present album makes its appearance.  It's my favorite Christmas album of all time.  It used to be un-findable, but apparently Amazon has it on MP3 download now.  Buy it.  Trust me.  Nike up and just do it.

We had church on Sunday, and then a candle light lessons and carols service Sunday night.  I always like those services.  It was especially good though to be at church with Em, Jim, Gabe, Mom, and Dad.  Especially Dad.

TL: I've always liked the stained glass in the vestibule.  TR: Inside of the sanctuary decorated for Christmas.  BL: Macaroni angels we made in youth group ages and ages ago -- they still look pretty good!  BR: The alter up close.  The crown of thorns AND the manger scene is a little strange to me...


My favorite part of Christmas is Christmas Eve.  We've always done our intimate family thing on Christmas Eve, and even though I didn't get new PJs (Mom, what up wit dat?) it was still nice to be together.  And Huck cried.  Christmas isn't for everyone.

TR: Grandpa and Huck reading a book.  TL: Huck and a gnome having a good time in front of the tree.  BL: Huck having a hissy.  BR: Me letting Huck play with my camera trying to get him to stop crying.

TL: What's in this cabinet?  TR: What's in this drawer?  BL: Nope, not playing in the lazy susan.  BR: Safety first -- double walkers at all times.

Top: Maggie's Grandma -- you know, no one else matters.  Middle: My grandma making me cookies.  Bottom: Cookies!  If you look close you'll see the little dipper, Gabe, and the Aurora Borealis.

Left: The Christmas tree that started out pretty pathetic, but turned out okay.  TR: Decorated tree and sparkling juice.  BR: decorated tree with the fire box in the background.

Left: Grandma (WooWoo) and Gabe.  Middle: Centerpiece  Right: Jim's contribution -- stuffed smoked bacon wrapped jalapenos.

Listening to the Christmas Story, and enjoying appetizers.
So that was Christmas in my house.  Now I'm watching Sister Act and appreciating it so much more than before I started seminary.  It's funnier if you know what a carmelite is (not a racial thing, but an order of nuns).  Also, I've figured out that if I ever do convert to Catholicism I won't have to change my name.  Sweet!

Next on my list of things to do: transcribe the version of I Will Follow Him from Sister Act.

1 comment: