Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Easy Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce

I made up this easy and tasty vegetarian spaghetti sauce because I had some soy beef crumbles in my freezer and I needed the space.  I used Bucatini noodles because I had them and they looked fun (they're like hollow spaghetti, or as I prefer to think of them -- the Twizzlers of pasta).

This dish was $0.50 at a swap meet.  It makes me feel like a Jetson.

Ingredients

  • 3 14.5 oz cans no salt added diced tomatoes
  • 1 12 oz bag Morning Star crumbled soy meat
  • 1 c red wine
  • 1 diced red onion
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • fresh fennel, to taste (I had this off of a fennel bulb I bought for roasted veggies -- nothing went to waste!)
  • dried basil, to taste
  • fresh black pepper, to taste
  • 2T olive oil

    In soup pot heat 2T olive oil. Add onion and garlic until caramelized. Add 1/4 c red wine to de-glaze. Cook until most of the liquid has cooked off. Add tomatoes, soy meat, remaining wine, herbs (reserve some of the fennel for garnish), and pepper. Add water if needed to thin sauce. Simmer until thickened, about half an hour. Serve with your favorite noodle and fresh fennel garnish. Leftovers can be frozen for even quicker meals at a later date.

    Calories 130.0 Total Fat 5.4 g Saturated Fat 0.8 g Polyunsaturated Fat 1.9 g Monounsaturated Fat 2.7 g Cholesterol 0.0 mg Sodium 177.8 mg Potassium 121.2 mg Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g Dietary Fiber 3.3 g Sugars 4.2 g Protein 8.7 g

    P.S. If you want a hilarious read about noodles you check this out.  My favorite part is, "i'm typing this with a noodle!!!!  I needed two noodles to get the exclamation points."  Clearly Brenton was taking this assignment very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment