Thursday, December 19, 2013

Freedom, Sweet Freedom!

I'm halfway done with my degree?!  What?  Huh?  When did that happen?

My plan was to finish my last final on Monday and then pack, but I was totally out of steam on Monday.  It might have been the fact that I finished two other finals on Sunday (thanks to the 6" of snow that cancelled church and the kids' thing I was supposed to do), or it could have just been a gigantic case of the not-giving-a-craps.  So instead of writing on Monday I slept in, watched TV, packed, and baked cookies.  (I did do a small amount of cleaning in anticipation of leaving for a month.)  It was great until about 12am on Tuesday morning when panic set in. 

I panicked until 1am when I decided to give in and go to bed.  I got up bright and early at 5am to do the dishes from the cookies I baked (stress baking has its drawbacks) and made the half mile trek to the train station at 5:30 in 11 degree weather. 

The thing I hate the most about flying is flying with a coat.  Where do I put it?  Does it count as a carry on?  Can it go in the overhead bin?  Do I stuff it under my seat?  Do I wear it and then attempt to removed it mid-flight, knocking the glass eye of my seatmate out in the process?  Who is responsible for the damages--me, the airline, or the coat manufacturer?  What if stuff falls out of the pockets?  There has to be a solution!  Yesterday there wasn't one.  It was 11 in Boston and 60 in Missouri.  Flying with my coat happened.

Anyway...  Because I didn't get my last final done on Monday I did half of it at Houston Hobby and the other half in my sister's living room while my nephew screamed and made engine sounds, and my sister and brother-in-law tried to figure out why their pre-owned piano has a 110v power cord coming out of it.  I postulate that it's like a tractor engine warmer, and that this particular piano was once owned by a pianist who enjoyed brisk, outdoor morning practice. My final paper may or may not have been relevant to the topics I was supposed to write about, but sometimes done is better than good.

Bottom line, my finals are done and I'm free!!!!!  I did my first ever Wordle, which is a much more interesting way to show you what I've been working on.  I took the 100+ pages of stuff I've written this semester and plugged them in and, voila!



Now I'm watching Home Alone (the first one) and having an adult beverage.  Because, darn it, I can!

And now for something not-so-completely different, my 5 favorite Christmas movies:
White Christmas
Elf
A Matter of Principle
An American Christmas Carol
Home Alone

And even though it isn't strictly Christmassy, I always want to watch the 1988 BBC version of The Chronicles of Narnia.  That and Anne of Green Gables reminds me of breaks spent with PBS/BBC.  PBS and I are kindred spirits.

And now to bed for a long winter's nap!  I hope I remembered to pack my kerchief...

2 comments:

  1. let it be known that i strongly desire to have anne of green gables on DVD

    ReplyDelete