Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent and marks the traditional first day of Christ's temptation in the wilderness.  Wearing ashes on your head is supposed to be a remembrance of your mortality, and a sign of mourning and repentance toward God.

In my church at home we don't observe Ash Wednesday.  I think it's more of a rural, geographical thing than a lack of caring.  But, since that's the case, today has been interesting.  This is the first day I've ever been imposed, ie, worn ashes on my forehead.  Interesting fact, the ashes are usually made by burning the palm leaves from the previous year's palm branches from Palm Sunday -- kinda neat.

It's a little weird though.  I'm a face toucher, so I keep wondering what is on my forehead.  "I know I exfoliated and put on moisturizer...why is my face flaky?  ...Oh yeah..."  It feels a little doofy.

2 comments:

  1. I kinda wish we did do it around here, I need all of the physical reminders I can get! Thanks for posting, now I can talk with the boys about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost told my boss he had some dirt on his head last year... Barely caught myself in time.

    ReplyDelete