Today was Mom's first day back at work so I thought it would be nice to have dinner ready when she got home. I didn't quite get it done in time, but it turned out pretty good so I think it counts. The problem with not planning meals is that it's pretty hard to scrape one together, but, surprisingly, it came out okay.
Ingredients: whatever you have on hand.
What I had on hand:
celery
carrots
onion
great northern beans
long grain brown rice (the real stuff)
sliced mushrooms
red wine
Worchestershire sauce
curry powder
tarragon
thyme
salt and pepper to taste
I chopped the onion, carrots, and celery (classic mirepoix) and sauteed them in some olive oil until the onions were caramelized. Then I deglazed the pan with some red wine I found (surprisingly not in the refrigerator). I added the beans (12 oz can) and about 5 cans of water (same can the beans came in). Then I added about...3/4 cupish...of rice and another can of water. Next I sauteed mushrooms until they were brown, and added them to the soup. Finally, I added some Worchestershire sauce, more wine, curry powder, tarragon, and thyme until it tasted right. Let it simmer until the rice is cooked, the soup thickens, and the flavors come together, about an hour. While that was going on I baked biscuits (flour, salt, baking powder, shortening, and milk).
All in all I think it came out pretty good. It should be even better tomorrow after it sits overnight. Yum! So, you know, let me know when you want me to cook you dinner. You're in charge of clean-up.

ummm......yum! I'm so hungry now! I wish i was there!
ReplyDelete