Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wednesday Wonderland

So.  It's snowing.  I can't remember the last time we got snow in early November in Missouri.  Oh, Boston...  Guess it's time to order my winter boots.  Seems I've put it off one day too many.  The good news is it doesn't seem to be sticking too badly.
As I write this I'm sitting in the living room drinking a cup of hot tea (Earl Gray Creme) and listening to Ben (one of the most adorable people in the world) play Christmas songs on the piano.  It's pretty much the ending to a perfect day.

Wednesdays are my loooooong days.  This was my day today:
8:00 -- Wake up.  Sometimes I have an awkward breakfast to attend, but today I got to sleep in!  Plus Sam gave me a mozzarella and pesto sandwich which made an excellent breakfast.
9:00-10:00 -- Discussion group for Hebrew Bible.  The TA didn't show up today so we played Hangman and Mafia -- yes, those are totally appropriate games for seminarians.  The word for the last round of Hangman was "tardy" which we then took a picture of and emailed to our TA...  I'm 99% sure he'll find that funny.
10:00-11:00 -- Discussion group for Reading the World (Christian History with a smattering of sociology).  The TA brought "election twizzlers".  No idea what that meant exactly, but I had a couple and I don't feel any different, so I don't think they were tainted.  I also opened the class by listening to this song.  It's been stuck in my head for two weeks...
10:30-11:00 -- Seminary Singers rehearsal.  What?  It overlaps another event on my calendar?  Yep.  This is the part of the rehearsal where we find out the logistics of the service (where we sit and when sing and how we get to the alter and stuff).  I always miss it.  It never seems to matter.
11:00-12:00 -- Chapel service.  I sing and crap.
12:00-1:00 -- Community lunch.  Today we had vegetable lasagna -- it was full of squash and mushrooms and it was delicious!
1:00-3:30 -- Practices of Faith.  Normally this is a real drag, but today was probably the best one ever.  One of the deans is one of the professors and she got up to talk about the practices of peace making and justice.  Normally this is not something that would be super exciting to me, but it was nice to have someone get up and talk about something they're excited about AND to have some debate about the theology behind the ideas AND to have the permission to argue with an evangelical Christian viewpoint.  And a heart.  PLUS, one of the points she made about the origins of peace making and justice was the exact same point I made in the midterm paper I had to turn in on Monday.  It was nice to have someone with the appropriate credentials affirm that point.
3:30-5:00 -- Practices of Faith (PoF) discussion.  It's the touchy-feelyist thing ever; don't even get me started.  Today was a continued discussion of the point made in class and in my paper.  Plus it was professor-led today instead of being TA led, which was nice.  I really like my TA for this class, but it's good to get a perspective from the person who's actually giving you grades.
5:00-6:30 -- Seminar on clergy finance.  It was a general waste of time, but there were some interesting articles I can look up later that might be helpful.
6:30-7:30 -- Wesleyan Students Association meeting.  I treasured.

And then I came home.  In the snow.

The other neat thing that happened to me today is that in the hallway outside my PoF discussion group there was a box that said "free books" and guess what it was full of ...OLD HYMNALS!!!!  I brought home 17 of them.  I'm not even exaggerating.

The remainder of the evening will be spent reading for classes tomorrow.  I was supposed to have a paper due a week from today, but it's been pushed back so I have a little room to read/breathe.  I think we're going to stand in line for a pre-screening of the latest James Bond tomorrow afternoon/evening.  I'm pretty excited.  It looks like it's going to be fantastic!

Oh, also, I've been working 20ish hours a week doing accounting/administrative stuff on the medical campus.  I haven't felt like I've been contributing much, but I got copied on an email from my boss thanking me for helping them get caught up and for the quality of work I've been doing.  It made me feel good.

And Haley and Sarah have decided that my personal style is Prairie Chic (actually, Haley suggested it was Casual Egyptian...what.).  Haley is Eclectic Earth Mama and Sarah is Urban Ballerina.  I swear some day I'll have pictures of these people.

Yay Boston.

1 comment:

  1. Haley, Eclectic Earth Mama? I think I like her. Is that me? yes? no? Maggie, I love your writing. I emailed Mrs. Herring today telling her about our 1 hr 20 min conversation Thursday. She will laugh I'm sure. She will feel your pain. She's bringing supper (I like how she says that) Monday. This will be the 3rd time. She's a doll. You must visit her when you're here. xoxox

    ReplyDelete