It's funny the things that cause a spark in people. I've been really discouraged about one of my classes, particularly since one of the professors has an obvious bias against anything that isn't progressive and from the northeast. So in lieu of rubbing her face in this, I'm going to share it with you (but I am also working on a post called 'Things I Wish I'd said to _______' -- more to come on that later, as soon as I figure out an appropriate pseudonym).
This is from the 2012 Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church. Unless you have some sick reason to want to know all about church law and polity you can skip reading most of it. But, if you want a really good read you should read the Social Principles section and the section on Doctrinal Standards and Our Theological Task -- it's right below the Bible as far as great statements about God and humanity and our interaction together is concerned, at least in my opinion.
This isn't particularly beautiful language (though there's plenty of that in the BoD), but the sentiments are wonderful! So for all you aspiring family farmers out there, I give you this statement from paragraph 163.H:
"Family Farms— The value of family farms has long been affirmed as a significant foundation for free and democratic societies. In recent years, the survival of independent farmers worldwide has been threatened by various factors, including the increasing concentration of all phases of agriculture into the hands of a limited number of transnational corporations. The concentration of the food supply for the many into the hands of the few raises global questions of justice that cry out for vigilance and action.
We call upon the agribusiness sector to conduct itself with respect for human rights primarily in the responsible stewardship of daily bread for the world, and secondarily in responsible corporate citizenship that respects the rights of all farmers, small and large, to receive a fair return for honest labor. We advocate for the rights of people to possess property and to earn a living by tilling the soil. We call upon governments to revise support programs that disproportionately benefit wealthier agricultural producers, so that more support can be given to programs that benefit medium and smaller sized farming operations, including programs that build rural processing, storage, distribution, and other agricultural infrastructure; which link local farmers to local schools; and which promote other community food security measures.
We call upon our churches to do all in their power to speak prophetically to the matters of food supply and the people who grow the food for the world and to develop ministries that build food security in local communities."
Doesn't it make you want to jump and shout? Maybe I'm just tired. Nah, that's not it.
I talked to Dad on the phone the other night and he said that as kids he wanted to instill in us the traditional values associated with farming, and while it was not fun at the time and I often wanted to run away I so appreciate it now. Even though it makes me a pariah here. And if one more professor tells me after class that they agree with my dissent and then tells me to present that to class instead of the professor providing a balanced presentation of issues the first time I'm going to come unglued.
The rage is good. It's what's keeping me awake so I can finish my homework...which I should probably get back to... Who am I kidding, I'm too tired to summon rage. It's more like a resigned annoyance.
Anyway, back to my musings through UMC-land.
I swear, Mom, I'm okay. Just tired, which makes everything else seem worse than it is. They turned me into a newt, but I'll get better. It's just a false nose.
Sometimes I only understand what you're talking about bc of context clues. Yet somehow I love your writing. It makes me feel smarter just by absorbing your thoughts. Well... off to google pariah!
ReplyDelete