Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Reflection on Water: consider the irony

I thought I'd share with you all the reflection (read: sermon) I'm writing for the lenten vespers (read: evening candlelight) service at church tomorrow.  The focus for the series is on creation care, so they're working their way through the Genesis creation story.  The reading for this sermon is Genesis 1:6-8.  I was asked to write a reflection on water.  I'm just going to let that phrase sink in.  It's pretty pun-tacular.

The service is going to be neat--they've built a water purification system and are running nasty, dirty melted snow through it.  The congregation will be given water-soluble markers to write prayer concerns on rocks.  After the sermon the purified snow water will be run over the rocks, washing away the prayer concern.  Then the rocks will be pulled from the water as a baptismal remembrance.  I'm going to sing Jason Gray's "Down to the River" while that happens.

Anyway, here's my sermon:




                The reading from Genesis depicts a world of nothing but water.  Water above.  Water below.  Water being separated from water.  When I first read this passage I tried to imagine what it might be like to be surrounded by that much water…and then I looked out my window…at the snow.  And we’ve had enough winter weather to question the goodness of God’s creation.  We’ve also had enough snow to give a real face to global climate change.


                Over the course of the last two Sundays we’ve heard the statistics that in the last seven generations humanity has consumed half of the available carbon resources, resulting in oceans that are 30% more acidic.  We’ve heard that even if in this very moment we entirely cease burning fossil fuels it will still take 200 years to break down half of the carbon dioxide that has been absorbed by the oceans.  In short, we’ve heard a lot of bad news.  And so as I sat down to write this reflection, I thought to myself, “What can I say?  What can I say that acknowledges the magnitude of our situation, yet still is life-giving?  Because the situation seems pretty bleak.”

                The situation seems bleak because it is bleak.  These statistics about our oceans are disturbing, and the statistics about freshwater are no better.  Freshwater accounts for somewhere around 2.5% of the world’s water supply, and not all of that water is clean.  A 2012 report from the United Nations reported that 780 million people worldwide lack access to safe drinking water.  In fact, it is estimated that every 15 seconds a child somewhere in the world dies of waterborne illness.  In that same year another study stated that by 2030 the demand for clean water will exceed supply by 40% which poses increased risk of water conflicts. 
                When I was in college one of my ethics professors suggested that the world’s next great conflicts would be over water—that we would soon be fighting for access to something as necessary to us as the air we breathe.  At the time that was such a foreign thought I couldn’t wrap my head around it, and yet that is the approaching reality. 
                We see these conflicts happening in our own country as states argue over the fate of the Colorado River.  We also see these conflicts happening all over the world as peoples scramble for water.  In 2000 an attempt to privatize the water supply in areas of Bolivia resulted in higher costs and public outcry ending in police violence.  Currently communities in Brazil, an area with incredible freshwater resources (has anyone heard of the Amazon River?), are struggling to find ways to provide water to their peoples in the face of drought. 

                Water rights were one of the factors at the center of the 1967 and 1973 Arab-Israeli conflicts, and continue to be at the center of life for communities in the West Bank.  The West Bank is home to much of the area’s water resources, however Palestinian residents are often charged exorbitant fees for access to their own ground water while pipelines carry this precious commodity to unauthorized Israeli settlements at one tenth the cost.

                It makes sense that humanity would have vested interested in the use of such a rare, precious gift, but how are we actually using it?  In an online lecture, Christina Z. Peppard, freshwater ethicist and assistant professor of theology at Fordham University, explains the way our planet’s freshwater is used.  70% of our freshwater consumption is attributed to agriculture.  Now, I grew up on a family dairy farm, and I can tell you that family farming does not account for much of that consumption—this statistic is talking about corporate agriculture.  Corporations (subsidized by our government) that produce cheap, processed foods which are disproportionately purchased by low-income households that often cannot afford fresh produce.  22% of consumption is attributed to industrial use, manufacturing, etc.  That leaves 8% of freshwater consumption attributed to domestic use—showers, drinking water, laundry, etc.  Surprising, right?  I don’t know about you, but all the things I know to do to save water fall into that domestic category—low flow toilets, shorter showers, and if I had a lawn I would water it less frequently.
                Now lest we think that since our domestic water consumption only accounts for 8% that we’re off the hook for the use of the other 92%, let’s not forget about one important thing: Baptism.  We walk into the baptismal waters alone, drowning to self to rise with Christ.  Through baptism we become part of Christ’s body—the body of watered people.  The covenant that we make to God and God’s people includes our accountability for that other 92% because baptism is a communal promise.
                Whether or not you remember your own baptism, the community of Christ into which you were baptized promised to uphold you and see that you grow in faith and discipleship.  You in turn have promised to do the same for your siblings in Christ.  This is the promise of Christian family.  This means that any one individual’s failure to use God’s good gift of water in a way that leads to life is our collective failure.  We have not taught respect for the life giving nature of water.  We have not taught the importance of equal access to clean water for all, regardless of economic status.  And so we gather during this time of lent to face our brokenness, our willfulness, and our distance from God.  We face these things knowing that we are called to surrender ourselves, to turn around and choose a better way.

                And so I look at all this water surrounding us, the evidence of global climate change, and perhaps a sign of the uncertain future, and I wonder: are these baptismal waters?  Are these waters that we must face, knowing that the only way forward is through them?  How must we die, what must we do, for our planet and ourselves to rise with Christ?  How do we turn this unholy mess into holy water?  And are these waters, scary as the possibility is, the beginnings of our redemption?


No comments:

Post a Comment