Monday, September 10, 2012

Ramen is once again a staple in my diet

Oh college food...how I haven't missed you...

Since I just paid my housing/insurance bill I am officially back on the ramen diet.  The school does a pretty good job of making sure we're fed at least once a day -- dates of free meals and where to find them on campus are posted next to the student lounge area in the theology building -- but for those other meals...

So here's my latest ramen creation.  It isn't terrible.

Main Ingredients:
1 package ramen
shredded cabbage
canned meat (your choice, I've been using salmon since that's what CVS had on sale)

Optional Ingredients:
V8
lemon or lime juice
Greek yogurt

I make the ramen without the spice packet because, let's be honest, who needs that much sodium and fake chicken flavor.  Also, fake chicken flavor is, in my opinion, the laziest fake flavor -- if everything tastes like chicken how hard is it to make imitation chicken flavor.  I digress.

Once you've made the ramen throw in your shredded cabbage and canned meat.  I also add lemon or lime juice for flavor.  Last week I had some V8 and the water was all the way down the hall so I used it instead of water.  Today I added Greek yogurt to make it creamy.  Neither were bad.

So that's what I've been up to.  If anyone has any other ideas to dress up ramen please send them my way...who knows what I'll do if I get really desperate...Craisins?

2 comments:

  1. wow, that does sound desperate. How about cold ramen with a vineagrette? Spaghetti? Chilli? Soup? Agree about chicken flavor...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did make some pasta on Sunday. I really wanted to make that quinoa thing I made for the 4th of July, but I couldn't find quinoa at the grocery store so I made it with whole wheat thin spaghetti. It wasn't as good. I'm sure there's a Whole Foods around here somewhere, but I don't know where. Also it's really inconvenient (however I'll adjust) to drag all your groceries around with you on the subway so I didn't want to make any unnecessary stops.

    ReplyDelete